Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Outdoor Things...

This past week of spring has made bme really appreciate the nice warm weather and the blooming of the flowers and trees. Here at home the outside of our house really hasn't been touched since we have lived here. So we have begun our ambitous family spring project. FRONT YARD CLEAN UP!!!
We have dug up the grass from the yard near the carport all the way to the street. Oh my! We have planted 8 yellow knockout roses and about 20 pots of lariope in hopes of not cutting two swipes of grass with the lawnmower. The grass didn't really grow under the tree anyway. In the front of the house on the right side, we cut down and I dug out the 4 bushes that were way overgrown an hadn't done anything for the front of the home. We have planted 3 red knock-out roses and 4 african daisy bushes. OK! My arms are sore, my wrist is in a splint, my hips feel like they are on fire. If I drop something, it will just have to stay there.
Why is it that landscaping hurts a lot more than gardening.

My garden is growing so fast. I have harvested about 10 gallons of lettuce. Remind me next year that 36 various lettuce plants feed armies. We love it though. Salads are so flavorful and the different textures of the greens are wonderful. The lettuce varieties are: iceburg (not at all like the nasty stuff from the grocery store), mustard, Romaine, and Buttercrunch. Most of the leaves are the size of both of my hands side-by-side. The iceberg is the size of a dinner plate. There are sugar peas and zucchini and yellow squash and cucumbers and pumpkins and corn and Pineapple Sage and Cilantro and Rosemary, Flat Leaf Parsley, Chives, Bee Balm, Common Sage, Stevia, Oregano, Basil, and Egyptian Basil.

Until later...

No comments: